Thursday, July 10, 2008

Tough Question

Someone once asked a question that, to me, was impossible to answer. I'm not sure how it came up, and if you think about it logically it doesn't really work out but they asked this:

"If you were only allowed to listen to one artist or group for the rest of your life, who would it be?"

My first answer was "no" as in no way could I limit myself to just one. There is just too much good music out there! I had to think long and hard about this and ask a couple questions of my own before I could even attempt to give a real answer. Such as:

"If I pick an artist, does that include him/her AND the bands that he/she has been in?"
We decided...Yes

"Do I just get to listen to the music they have put out to date, or do I get to listen to new things they may put out too?"
We decided...Any and all music they have out or may put out would be allowed

So I thought, and thought some more and I was able to narrow it down. For me, I think it would either be Tom Petty, or Bob Dylan. I LOVE both of these artists.

Tom Petty has a few different styles of music, some are more upbeat while others are slow and soulful. He also has a ton of songs that seem to have been written to portray how I think and what I feel. Besides that he has a couple of different groups that he has been a part of, The Heartbreakers, Mud Crutch, The Travelling Wilburys.

Bob Dylan, well, he's just a genius. An amazing musician. An even more amazing songwriter. He has also done a lot of music with a lot of different people, too many to list.

The problem that I found with either of these choices, was that I love these artists so much that I would HATE to get tired of listening to them. If I was only allowed to listen to one artist, I'm afraid that is what would happen. A simple case of too much of a good thing.

So, I'm wondering if anyone knows who they would choose? I never made my decision. One artist for the rest of your life is... I don't even know how to explain it... a hard decision to say the least.

5 comments:

Sarah Jean said...

HOW - HOW COULD YOU EVER DO THAT? Sorry, I don't even want to attempt that. Well . . . maybe Lionel Richie (ages me doesn't it).

Brandon said...

I think I'd pick Hansen. You know, the M'Bop guys. It would be like a musical suicide. haha. Suicide isn't funny, but you know what I mean.

Stephanie said...

First of all - BRANDON! You make me laugh. Second of all - MICHELLE! I knew we were meant to be sisters when I discovered our mutual love for Mr. Tom Petty. It's a hard decision for sure, isn't it? I'd pick Tom. Or my Missy Higgins . . . she hasn't let me down yet!

I LOVE YOU!

chelbos said...

I think they would have to let you choose one from each genre. Because there are some many that go with all of our different moods. when i mad i choose godsmack
when i want to sing i choose something i can sing to like chicago think about all of the movie soundtracks you wouldnt get to choose from that my thoughts on the question....

Shay Lee said...

Um. . . I pretty much hate you for even presenting this question! Like, it gives me anxiety for real!!! It makes me swear a little in my head. Thank goodness we don't live in a world where we have to limit ourselves like that. So for this one I'm not going to worry about the what if's and just be grateful for what I have. . . . laods and loads of music for my enjoyment. Hurray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!