Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dandelion

There is a book I read once upon a time (actually it still sits on my shelf and I read bits and pieces of it occasionally) called Peace is Every Step, by Thich Nhat Hanh. In this great book he makes reference to a poem a friend of his wrote:

I have lost my smile,
but don't worry.
The dandelion has it.

He goes on to explain that if you have lost your smile but you are still capable of seeing that a dandelion is keeping it for you, the situation is not too bad. You still have enough mindfulness to see that the smile is still there.

For whatever reason, this hit me hard. (so hard, in fact, that I decided to get a dandelion tattooed to my leg) It is so simple. Even though things may suck right now they can’t, and they won't, stay that way forever. Just hang in there and keep in mind that a dandelion is guarding your smile and keeping it safe for whenever you’re ready to use it again.

9 comments:

Sarah Jean said...

I love you smile, especially when it's on your face.

Anonymous said...

I second that! And I love YOU Michelle!!!

Jared & Kayleen said...

I chelle belle, I alwas wondered why you picked a weed as a tattooo
JK good to have you among the blogging love ya tons keep smiling, Your big bro

Michelle said...

well...its was the main reason i got a weed, there are a couple of other little ones too. one of them is that i like the blowy things!!

nicole said...

thanks for the insight, it helps a ton right now!! Sorry stole your blog sight from brandon. But you do have a wonderful smile that lights up the room!

Kimmy Sunshine said...

I love this analogy and will think of it often especially when times are tough. Thanks for your hugs and tender words.

Jen said...

I love you michelle!!! :)

angie said...

wait! i didn't know you had a blog too! hooray and love the bright yellow

catherine said...

Hurray!!!!! I love your blog and I love your thoughts and I love you!