Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Silent Rave

I heard on the radio yesterday as I was driving home from work something that sort of baffled me. Apparently the new, hip thing to do (this is one of those times I feel older than I think I should feel) is to have silent raves. NPR was telling their little story on my drive home about a bunch of teenager/college age kids getting together in Union Square in NYC, putting on their headphones and turning their iPods on at the same time then dancing around to their own music. I guess there were around 7,000 people dancing around and having a grand old time, each to the beat of whatever drum was playing on their personal musical device. I didn't really get it, they said they were socializing but they couldn't have been talking to each other or mingling so much because they had their headphones on. It must have been a sight though, 7,000 people dancing around and acting crazy in apparent silence. Wow, I feel a little old and out of touch!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's weird. I don't think I'd like it!

Brandon said...

I love it. Lets do it. I feel like I do it a little sometimes on accident, oops. I'm sure anyone could guess what type of music I'm listening to just by watching me for a sec or two.

FYI, NPR=Boo!

Tav said...

I think its kinda cool! Then no one could tell if you where really off beat or not hehe.

Kjerstin said...

That is so cool! I think it would be pretty hilarious to see.